Moms Of Teens: Are You Out There In The Wide, Wide Blogosphere?

by Becky on October 24, 2012 · 6 comments

in Parenting

Costa Brava_4536

Moms of little ones blog. How happy, that they do! I wish, HOW I wish, there had been a blogopshere circa mid nineties, when I was a new mom in desperate need of perspective, advice, laughs, and an authentic sense of solidarity.

What I find myself wanting now is the conversation about our teens, whom we love just as fiercely even though our interactions with them can sometimes be more fraught. If that conversation is happening somewhere and I haven’t joined in, please, someone, point me toward it! Don’t we all need illumination??

Moreover, I find myself wanting that conversation to focus on how we’re succeeding in spite of the many influences out there that tend to sour parent-teen relationships and erode our teens’ confidence. Because when we succeed, what’s really happening is that love carried the day. And given all that goes on in the lives of teens and their parents, a return to love in its many forms is perhaps the most important thing we could aspire to.

Two things I know for sure (to borrow a phrase from Oprah): successful families are not immune to confusion and heartache. We never know what challenges face the families we imagine to be perfect, and comparing our family to someone else’s is a recipe for unhappiness. Two. We all can create success through the ways we work at loving. Traditions, I suppose we could call them. The most successful families I know of have a commitment to practicing love through traditions that eventually take hold and bear fruit, often in unexpected ways. Those rituals that make our family uniquely ours can be a powerful force for good in the lives of our teens.

So: let’s share ideas about our habits and traditions–the practices that, through their very repetition, function to knit us together, the weave ultimately becoming tighter and more lovely than we have the capacity to imagine.

Moms of teens. And Dads of teens. Time for illumination! How do you work to love? Let’s index our ideas and strengthen our teens in the process!

Sage October 26, 2012 at 6:26 am

I haven’t found very much discussion of teens in my blog reading and find I avoid talking too much about my kids to avoid embarrassing them. I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Tracie October 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m glad you’re here! I’ve been wanting to find a brilliant mom of teens blog to start the juices flowing for my future. Also, I’m an inolved aunt to teens and teach the 10-12 yr olds at church so I’m simply eager to absorb and share. Proud of you guys moving to Spain – we’ve been in Germany 4 years and are glad we jumped the pond. Found you through Mara’s site :)

Jeanne October 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I, too, wished that there could have been the proliferation of blogs back when my kids were babies too. It would have been such a help. But just as there were no blogs about young children and babies back then, today there are very few blogs about teens. So now as my children are just entering their own teenaged years, I want to thank you about blogging about your own experiences.

Becky October 30, 2012 at 3:51 am

Jeanne, why don’t we agree to let each other know when we come across someone blogging about their teens?!–especially in ways that are meaningful/positive. Not that we can’t all keep it real, and not that we can’t keep our sense of humor, right? It’ll be great to grow the conversation, don’t you think? Thanks for saying hello. Cheers!

Anita Knapp October 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I do write about my teens (I have boys 18, 16, 14, and a passel of younger kidlets), and our adventures – I just can’t use their real names. They’d die… or kill me. Either way, not good. I would also love to see more mother of teens bloggers and learn how they love!

Becky October 30, 2012 at 3:32 am

Anita! I know, right? Where ARE the moms of teens–in the blogosphere, that is?! I had a look at your wonderful clan, though, and my hat’s off to you. Sometimes I feel beset with my four. But you! Wow. Let’s give each other a heads-up when we stumble onto mom blogs that strive to keep it real, maintain a sense of humor, AND highlight the positive. Deal?