Do You And Your Kids Know Your Why?

by Becky on January 31, 2013 · 6 comments

in Parenting, Traditions

The Eleven O’Clock Dad showed me this the other day, and we actually showed it to our kids a couple of nights later as part of an ongoing effort to think not only about what our family is, but why it is.

Maybe a year ago, we drafted a family mission statement, each member coming up with a single word they felt described our family, and we arranged the words in a series of short phrases. While we still like what we came up with last year, it’s nevertheless fascinating to ask your kids this question: What is our family’s ‘why’?  Articulating a ‘why’ statement can be as simple as saying, “We believe in . . .”

Try this. Ask your kids: What’s our family’s ‘why’?  For that matter, extend the discussion by asking your kids to think about their own ‘why.’  It’ll be an illuminating moment. And a very cool one.

Karen January 31, 2013 at 10:37 pm

This was an awesome post. I love, loved that video. It has given me a lot to think about, both personally, and for my husband’s business/invention. Getting my kids to think about the WHY will probably make a huge impact in their lives.

Becky February 1, 2013 at 6:49 am

Karen: the video–I know, right? I loved it, too. I find myself wishing I could show it to my missionary son! Knowing why you believe, why you love, why you work, why you strive, then transmitting that to others–what a powerful theme. Have fun with the ‘why’! Besitos.

Jen February 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I cannot wait to snuggle up in bed with a good cup of herbal tea and watch this!

Becky February 5, 2013 at 12:57 am

Do! Watch it! It’s perfect for your teaching at IU! (Well, in my modest opinion.)

Jen February 5, 2013 at 2:32 am

This is incredible! This is perfect for both my research class (why are you examining the problem you chose? What is your WHY?) – and my undergrad class on facilitating the experience with individuals with disabilities. Thanks for sharing!

Becky February 5, 2013 at 3:20 am

I know, right? So inspiring! I walk around now, trying to articulate how I get to ‘why.’ Have fun with the video! Besitos. XX